Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Artist: Sofia

PROFILE:
Name: Sofia Rivera-Perez
Hometown: Manhattan (East Village)
Age : 19. Will be 20 in December (#SendGifts!!)
Goals: After College, she wants to go to med school and join Doctors without Borders.
Music: "I don't really like a specific genre. I like classical and jazz...ooh I love the arctic monkeys so much, alex clare, twenty one pilots and Stevie Wonder, of course!"
Sofia made that poster with all the pictures by herself!

On meeting Sofia, you think you know her. She has to be a hipster; after all she dresses like one . However, when I spoke to her on her "artsy" status, I was shocked to know that this was a girl who was doing great academically, was in the pre-med program and had a special musical talent. I hope when you read this piece you discover the uniqueness of the stereotypical "flower child" Sofia.

QUESTION TIME:
1.) Is it safe to say that people consider you an "artsy girl" stereotype? How true is that and how does that make you feel?
- "Um, I mean , I guess people see me as "artsy" but it takes a while because when people see me they think "oh! She seems normal"and just a little bit weird . Like when of my friends came in my room he said "I never knew you made these posters...wow you're actually really artsy" but I'm also an English Lit major and a pre-med minor so I guess people don't really put those two together. But it's a great outlet, because I've always been drawing  and I play the violin, so that's always been my outlet.

A few of Sofia's works which take "only about 5 hours!!"
2.)How do you think your style fashion and music wise even your room perpetuate this stereotype?
-Yeah , I know . It depends. Sometimes, I'll dress really like...i don't know. But one person I like, whose book I was just reading is Coco Chanel, the biography and I'm not so chic all the time but its nice to switch it up every once in a while. Sometimes, I'll be in all black and other times, I'll be in different prints.



Can you say cool girl?

















3.) On coming to Mville, did you think you would find your niche?
- I definitely did because when I first toured here, one of the reasons I chose Manhattanville is because we have such a big community here. People come from all over and it's awesome because you see all these different cultures. I thought I would find my own group because college is such a big place, you're bound to find someone.
Tibetan prayer flags in Sofia's room


4.) How has Manhattanville helped you discover more of who you are and separate you from the crowd?
Definitely, because you have more freedom here. Not to say my parents have held me back but my parents were pretty strict so  here its like oh! I could wear different clothing and won't have to worry about them being like "that's too short" and it's such a wide range of people here who inspire me and its like , I like that style. I could do something like it.


5.) What about you do you think people will be surprised to know?
Yeah, usually it's the violin. Usually a lot of people are surprised  because I've been playing since I was three. That's one of of the most constant things I've ever done. That and like writing. I'm not sure. I think I'm very involved in different stuff. People are usually very surprised at how well rounded I am like "wow Sofia! I didn't know you could do all that." But I've been so immersed in music and art my whole life even I don't realise how well-rounded I am.






1 comment:

  1. her artwork and this blog are foolish! (foolish=fire=great. a lesson in ebonics lolol.)

    ReplyDelete