Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Academic: Michelle*

PROFILE:
Name: Michelle*
Age: 20
Hometown: New York, New York
Goals: “I would say my goals in life are I guess to be an academic scholar and an agent changer in world politics.”
Music: “I like everything except country.”

Michelle* is smart, there is no denying that. She’s that student who teachers love because she is able to engage. She’s won awards and will continue to do so but she’s also funny and lighthearted and knows a thing or two about fashion week.

QUESTION TIME:
1.) Is it safe to say people consider you an "academic” stereotype? How true is that and how does that make you feel?
-“I don’t want to give myself that much credit but I guess I could say that, I would agree. It makes me feel good in a way but at the same time, it’s like a motivator like if I want to keep that reputation, I have to keep focusing.”
2.) How do you think your style: fashion and music wise even your room perpetuate the stereotype? 
-“No, I mean, my style is simple but still classy with a little edge; if that makes any sense. I like my blouses, my jeans and a nice pair of boots. Keep it simple and I love a good scarf.”
3.) On coming to Mville, did you think you would find your niche? 
-“I didn't. I didn't know what to expect. It’s just something you have to dive headfirst into and you find it as time goes on… and I think I found it.”
4.) How has Manhattanville helped you discover more of who you are and separate you from the crowd?
-“I think Manhattanville has helped me because studying with so many people, even though it’s a small school; you get to see all types of people and through that I can say “OK well, I like what this person’s doing” and I can sort of model  what I do after what that person’s done. I can also see what people are doing that I don’t like then I can say “that’s not for me.”” (Laughs)
5.) What about you do you think people will be surprised to know?
-“I’m actually secretly obsessed with high-fashion and modelling but I don’t like being associated with it. I’d rather be associated with books, yeah.” (Laughs)


*Michelle is a pseudonym as this participant has asked I keep her identity secret. That however does not take away from the truth of her experiences.




No comments:

Post a Comment